Many people don't realize that animals can get allergies just like we can. Pets can suffer from many forms of allergies and each one can cause discomfort. At Trumbull Animal Hospital in Trumbull, our veterinarians can provide allergy relief to your pet, whether you have a dog, cat, or an exotic pet. Here is some information about what types of allergies your pet can suffer from and how our veterinary team can treat them.
As mentioned before, allergies comes in many forms. Mostly there are three main types: skin allergies, food allergies, and environmental allergies.
- Skin Allergies: These can be triggered by fleabites, environmental allergies, allergic to a product, and food allergens. While each can cause different symptoms, some common symptoms are irritation to the skin, hives, swelling, and inflammation on the skin.
- Food Allergies: Your pet may be allergic to certain foods. The reaction could be skin related as indicated above or it may be gastrointestinal with symptoms diarrhea or vomiting. In rare cases, an animal could have an anaphylactic attack. Some pets may actually experience food sensitivities versus to an actual allergy.
- Environmental Allergies: A pet can be allergic to pollen, dust mites, dander in animals, or mold spores. Your pet can experience seasonal allergies or year-round allergies. It’s best to take your pet to see our vets to see what type of allergen is causing his or her symptoms.
Signs and Symptoms
Depending on the type of allergy, your pet may show different symptoms. The following are some signs and symptoms to look out for:
- Excessive itching
- Swelling in the facial and surrounding areas
- Skin that appears red
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Shaking of the head repeatedly could be a sign of a chronic ear infection caused by an allergen
- Continuous licking
- Eyes that are runny and never seem to clear up
What Our Vets Can Do To Help
Our veterinary team are dedicated to making sure that your pet is healthy and well. Pets cannot tell us when they are not feeling well, so it is best to schedule a wellness exam with our veterinarians. Our veterinarians can find the problem to your pet’s symptoms.
Our vets may have you change the shampoo or conditioner, if your pet has a reaction to a product. If it is due to fleas, treatment can be administered right away. If your pet is allergic to foods, our veterinarians may want to find the food that is causing the symptoms so that it can be removed from your pet’s diet. If your pet has an environmental allergy, then our vets may be able to prescribe medication to minimize the effects of the allergy.
It is important to schedule a wellness exam for your pet at our animal hospital. Our veterinary team are here to help treat your pet’s allergy symptoms. Call Trumbull Animal Hospital in Trumbull at 203-268-6231 today. We want to be your vet of choice for all of your pet’s needs.